Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

History Society

The History Society has kindly provided the following information. The photograph on the left shows the dedication plaque presented to St Lawrence's Church by George Moore commemorating those who fell in the Great War (WWI). The second photo shows the list of all who fought in WWI from the PARISH of Bourton on the Water - those that survived as well as died.

The photograph at the bottom of the page shows a wall plaque tucked away in the corner of St Lawrence's Church which records the names of the 7 Officers and 72 Other Ranks from Bourton who volunteered for the fight against Napoleon (1803 - 1805). Napoleon had turned his attention to planning an invasion of England saying, "All my thoughts are directed towards England. I want only for a favourable wind to plant the Imperial Eagle on the Tower of London."

The mobilisation of the population achieved a military force of over 615,000 in December 1803. Much of the south coast of England was fortified to repel a French landing. However, Napoleon never attempted his planned invasion and so the preparations were never put to the test.

EDWIN RANSFORD, a nationally well-known singer and composer, who was born in Bourton in 1805, wrote a piece entitled 'Lines on my Native Village, Bourton on the Water, Gloucestershire' in which he mentioned the Bourton Volunteers:

Another sight to me appears;

I mean the Bourton Volunteers,

Who at the sound of fife and drum

Set all the village in a hum;

To see them mustered on the green –

A motlier group was never seen!

Some straight, some crooked, some high, some low,

Yet all made up a goodly show:

And when they were arranged in ranks,

And waiting for the Captain, Hanks,

Each seemed to say within his heart-

Oh! Won’t we make old “Bony” smart!