Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Berwick in Winter December 2010

I have few memories of my first

few years in Brighton. I certainly remember the pebbles in the beech. Over the next few years, we must have visited there for holidays to see my grandmother. When I was quite small, I am told I ran into the sea quite bare, having shed my bathing costume. Despite mother’s cajoling me to return, I laughingly disobeyed and went ever further out. Mother in desperation called ‘Come back here this minute or I’ll fetch a [policeman’. I must have had dire threats of misdemeanour punishable by policemen as I shot back up the beach and was duly made respectable. We were taken along the pier at every visit and I had saved pennies for the slot machines. I tried in vain to catch a sweet in the remote arms of a crane but I was not allowed to try ‘What the Butler saw’. I never did find out. I was intrigued by the saucy post cards though not supposed to understand them. Most were about very fat ladies in undress. We also went to listen to the band and sat on iron seats round the band-stand. I was not excited by this but at that time had been learning to knit which occupied me during these boring sessions. I was knitting a very long thin piece, yards and yards of it in various wool scraps. When asked for an explanation and its