Gems of UK National Collections - Part l
Art Appreciation in the Berwick-St-James Reading Room
Insights into Gems of UK National Collections
Thursday 16th June at 7pm
Edouard Manet’s much celebrated final masterpiece of 1882, A Bar at the Folies-Bergere is undoubtedly the most renowned painting in the Courtauld Institute. However, it is just one of a select group of masterpieces from National Museum collections we will enjoy and discuss together. We will commence with some of the earliest masterpieces in the Sainsbury’s Wing of the National Gallery, where artists used novel means to expand the narrative and then move through the centuries to the High Renaissance and Baroque to marvel at Titian’s Bacchus and Ariadne and Caravaggio’s Supper at Emmaus, gaining insights into Mythological and Christian iconography along the way. Choice examples from Tate Britain, Wallace Collection and National Museums of Scotland will follow, to complete an eclectic snapshot of some of the finest paintings in UK collections.
Paintings for consideration for meeting on Thursday 16th June 2022
- 1434. The Arnofilni Portrait, Jan van Eyck, oil on panel, Sainsbury Wing, N.G.
- 1458-60. The Agony in the Garden, Andrea Mantegna, oil on panel, Sainsbury Wing, N.G.
- 1459-65. The Agony in the Garden, Giovanni Bellini, tempera on panel, Sainsbury Wing, N.G.
- 1475. St Jerome in His Study, Antonella Messina, Sainsbury Wing, N.G.
- 1492. The Madonna della Rondine/The Madonna of the Swallow, Carlo Crivelli, oil on panel, Sainsbury Wing, N.G.
- 1485. Venus and Mars, Sandro Botticelli, oil on poplar, Sainsbury Wing, N.G.
- 1522-3. Bacchus and Ariadne, Titian, oil on canvas, applied onto conservation board in 1968 as part of a major restoration, N.G.
- 1559. Diana and Acteon, Titian, oil on canvas, N.G.
- 1559-76. The Death of Acteon, Titian, oil on canvas, N.G.
- 1601. The Last Supper, Caravaggio, oil on canvas, N.G.
- 1602. The Taking of Christ, Caravaggio, oil on canvas, National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin.
- 1640. Rembrandt Self Portrait, oil on canvas, N.G.
- 1665-9. Self Portrait with Two Circles, Rembrandt, 1665-9, Kenwood House
- 1624. The Laughing Cavalier, Frans Hals, oil on canvas, Wallace Collection
- 1634-6. A Dance to the Music of Time, Nicholas Poussin, oil on canvas, Wallace Collection
- 1636. The Rainbow Landscape, Peter Paul Rubens, oil on board, Wallace Collection
- 1767. The Swing, Jean-Honore Fragonard, oil on canvas, Wallace Collection
- 1743-5. Marriage A-la-Mode, Hogarth, oil on canvas, N.G: a series of five paintings satirizing marriage of the upper classes in Georgian Society.
- 1888. Vision after the Sermon, Paul Gauguin, oil on canvas, National Museums of Scotland
- 1892. Lady Agnew of Lochnaw, John Singer-Sargent, oil on canvas, National Museums of Scotland
- 1864-5. Symphony in White, No 2 : The Little White Girl, James McNeill Whistler, oil on canvas, Tate Britain
- 1856. Portrait of Madame Moitessier, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, oil on canvas, N.G.
- 1882. A Bar at the Folies-Bergere, Edouard Manet, oil on canvas, Courtauld Institute
- 1853. The Awakening Conscience, William Holman Hunt, oil on canvas, Tate Britain.
- 1880-6. Les Parapluies, Umbrellas, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, oil on canvas, N.G.
- 1888. Sunflowers, Vincent van Gogh, oil on canvas, N.G.