Update 29th June 2020
The Berwick St James Reading Room will continue to stay closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. In September the committee will decide again if a date can be set for it to be opened again fitting in with government guidelines.
Update 13th June 2020
St James Church will be open as of Monday 15th June from approximately 10am to 4pm. Over the last 10 days much discussion has taken place with The Reverend Jonathan Plows and others concerning the opening of the church; that, combined with observing the guidance given by the Church of England, will ensure that anyone entering the church is as safe as possible from COVID-19.
The Churchwardens ask that anyone going to the church follows the instructions given below for your own safety and that of others.
- You will find the door propped open. Please leave it propped open throughout your visit and on leaving the church so that people do not need to touch the door handle.
- Please use the hand sanitizer provided just inside the church on both entering and leaving the church.
- If you sit in a pew, please place a white tile with a red stripe across it where you have sat. These are on the stool just inside the church. This will assist later cleaning of the church. Advice given, for your own safety is that you sit 2 metres away from any previously placed tile.
- Please respect others who may be in the church by socially distancing at 2 metres.
- For your safety and that of others, please do not touch any books and please touch as few surfaces as possible.
- Please be aware that you are responsible for your own safety as regards COVID-19.
The church will periodically be closed for 4 days for cleaning (3 days for any virus to die and one day for cleaning). There will be a notice on the noticeboard by the gate when this is going to happen.
It was good to have so many people join the virtual village meeting on 4th June. We were delighted that we were joined by Mike Doldon, the new Tenant of The Boot Inn. Please find attached the minutes of the meeting which have kindly been prepared by Kate.
We also have a recording of the meeting meeting which can be seen on the following link: The password is : XxFuqg2b
VE75 Village Photobook
We have now received over 20 orders for the book which is excellent as it means that the cost will come in at less than £50 per book. Christian will be in touch when the books arrive.
Virtual Pub Quiz Tonight
As mentioned at the village meeting we had a break from the virtual Pubquiz last week but we will have another this evening (Friday 12th June) starting at 7.00
Cancer Support Salisbury Charity Virtual Pubquiz – 7.30 – Friday 19th June
John Stephenson suggested that we do a virtual Pub quiz with Cancer Support Salisbury who do some superb work in the Salisbury Area. The quiz will be along similar lines to the other quizzes that we have done but will be promoted to the membership of the charity. It would be great if the people who normally take part in the Berwick quiz and others could join in. The link will be the same as usual and I will send more details out closer the time. Please put get your teams together and make a note of the date in your diary! (NB – This will most probably be the last pub quiz for the village)
Thank you from Kathy & Giles
We have received the following message from Kathy & Giles: “Could you please send an email to the village to let all those who contributed to our leaving collection, we have bought a new dining table and chairs (as pictured) with the money collected. We would like to thank everyone again.”
Christian Lange & Sarah Humphreys
Berwick St James
- Village Hall (Reading Room)