Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Berwick St James Parish

Planning Meeting - 12 June '14

Planning Meeting 12 June 2014

 

Planning Application 14/04266/FUL.     A planning meeting was held in the Reading Room on 12 June 2014, attended by 24 residents.  The meeting was held to discuss the planning application submitted by Tim Bailey on behalf of Ken & Tina Woodford to build a two storey house in the grounds of Goodwins house.  The plans and diagrams of the house were presented and explained to the residents by his architect, Melanie Latham, and questions, both from the floor and those written in by those unable to attend, were answered.   A vote was taken to assess the opinion of the village about the application, and there was a clear majority to fully support it.  There were no objections, either from the floor or in writing. 

 

However there were concerns that even one additional house in the village would put additional strain on the village’s main drainage system, installed in 1959 for about 50 houses and presently servicing about 50% more than the original number.  With the raised water table during the winter months the system is frequently unable to cope, to the significant inconvenience of those residents living in the lower parts of the village.  The Berwick response to this planning application (since submitted) indicates the full support given at the meeting, with the caveat that Planning Approval for the additional house must take into account the present main drainage problem and the possible adverse effect that any additional housing may have on it.

 

Defibrillator.            Sally Hiscock gave the meeting a short update on the defibrillator that the village now possesses, and explained how it worked.  The opportunity was taken to discus the merits of three possible sites to situate the container for the machine, based on location (convenient for all) and power (heating for the equipment).  The Reading Room wall (North face), BT telephone box and Farm Shop external wall were all considered, and it was decided that the Farm Shop wall was, at present, the most suitable.  Permission to fix it there will be requested from the manager of the Guinness Estate (Chairman to do) and arrangements for the power supply to be negotiated with Marilyn (Sally Hiscock).  Once agreed, Tony Gatling will fix the defibrillator container to the wall.  Sally Hiscock will arrange for an electrician to connect it, and will monitor the serviceability and security of the equipment.

 

The Chairman read out a letter from the Ambulance Service, the supplier of the machine, which stated that they recommend that the box remains unlocked but the village would not be held responsible for damage to or loss of the equipment.  They also stated that possessing one would not affect the call-out time of the emergency services.

 

Although the defibrillator itself was lent to the village free of charge for the next four years, the box itself cost over £500.  Mary Gatling, who has pioneered the introduction of the equipment, has graciously offered to pay for the box herself, but hopes to receive some financial support from outside sources, such as the Waitrose Charities.  Nicky Street proposed that the sum of £200 was given to Mary from the Community Fund to offset some of the cost, and this was fully approved by the meeting.

 

Berwick St James Fete, Dog Show, and Duck Race Day.        The Fete (Without Duck Race) took £2,375.95 gross, £2,082.51 net.  The Duck Race the following day made £309.50 gross, £204.50 net.  The combined takings for the weekend were £2,287.01 net.  Of this sum, £500 goes to the Community Fund and £893.50 goes to both the Reading Room and the Church.

 

 

Neil MacDougall

Chairman Berwick Parish Meetings

01722 792761