Deep in the woodlands of the Meon Valley, the Church of our Lady of Warnford stands in peaceful isolation. The building is Early English in style with a tower and single cell nave and chancel, as befitting a small parish.
It has a long history, with a church first founded here by St. Wilfred the Bishop (in the 7th C) during his exile from Northumbria. This earliest church, probably built of wood or wattle and daub, was replaced in the later Saxon period by a simple stone church. The church as it currently stands dates from the 12th C, rebuilt in phases by Adam de Port, who held the manor of Warnford at that time.
The Church before the 1905 Renovation
Notice that the nave had a plaster ceiling below the roof beams, at a level which cut two or three feet off the apex of the east window.
This can be compared to the church now
More photos of the church exterior and interior before 1905 and during the major renovations of 1905
Photos of the church after 1905